Anyone who owns property on a lake or pond knows skating on your own private property is a lot of work. Clearing a space for ice skating can take HOURS of shoveling snow. If the ice is thick enough, you can take a snow plow out on the ice to clear an area for pond hockey or ice skating. Still, by the time you’ve finished, you’ll want nothing more than to sit and relax or take a nap.
We recommend public skating areas, they are safe and someone else does the shoveling and resurfacing to provide you the best ice. Also public ice rinks are more social and typically will lit with benches and sometimes even bonfires.
Ice Skating Arenas in the Southern Maine Area:
Skating at an ice arena certainly has its perks where the Zamboni creates ideal ice skating conditions. Believe it or not, ice skating at an arena is one of the most affordable activities in Maine. Passes are anywhere between $3-10 and skate rentals are typically $2-7.
This is perfect if you’re looking for an inexpensive activity with your kids or friends during your vacation in Maine; and even makes for a cute date with your sweetheart . Be sure to check the public skating hours!
Outdoor Public Ice Skating Areas in Southern Maine:
For those who own their own skates, you can also visit these outdoor skating areas listed below:
- Cape Elizabeth, ME: Great Pond
- Dayton, ME, 280 Buzzel Road: Harris Farm
- Kennebunk, ME, Main Street: Main Street Public Ice Skating Rink – Waterhouse Center
- Kennebunkport, ME: Crow Hill Park
- New Gloucester, ME: Pineland Farms
- Portland, ME, Deering Oaks Park: Deering Oaks Pond
- Portland, ME, Thompson Point Ice Arena
- Portland, ME, Nason’s Corner: Breakwater School Pond
- Portland, ME, Near Back Cove: Edward Payson Park
- Saco, ME, Ferry State Park: Long Pond
- Sanford, ME: Number One Pond
- Scarborough, ME Scarborough Beach Park: Massacre Pond
- South Portland, ME, Ocean Street at Hinckley: Mill Creek Park Pond
- Standish, ME, Sebago Lake Village, Rt. 35: Johnson Field
- Standish, ME: Steep Falls
- Westbrook, ME: Riverside Park
- Windham, ME, Rt. 302: Manchester School